If you want to make your home or apartment more livable, forget power tools. There are plenty of small, tech-savvy inventions that can help beautify, organize, and simplify your home life. Here are some of our favorites.
1. Turn devices on or off remotely with a TP-Link Smart Plug.
This versatile plug allows you to turn devices on and off from anywhere using the free Kasa app. When you’re on vacation, use the Away-Mode function to turn lights on and off at varying times.
2. Keep your hands available for tools with a headlamp.
Every home or apartment should have a headlamp ready for unexpected problems. Whether you’re checking for a leak under the sink, trying to clean under a couch, or simply walking through the house during a power outage, a headlamp makes life easier. Bonus: this product also makes a great camping accessory.
3. Forget about difficult wiring projects and go with solar lights for outside areas.
If you’ve got a garage, patio, or any other outdoor area that needs a light, the wide-angle ISTAR is a great alternative to a wired light. Simply mount the light with two screws in direct sunlight. Once the light is charged, choose from three light modes of varying power.
4. You may not consider yourself a handyman, but you still need a toolbox.
This ultra-compact toolbox has a wide variety of essential tools. There’s a level and hammer for hanging pictures and a measuring tapes to size rooms for furniture. Allen wrenches, pliers, and a screwdriver with dozens of attachments round out the set. Be prepared for anything without filling an entire closet with tools.
5. Decorate the walls without damaging them using stick-on wire hooks.
Hang impermanent items, like Christmas lights, with these non-damaging hooks. Each hook holds up to a half pound, so calendars, jewelry, and decorations can be hung without nails or screws. This clever product keeps your walls like new and your security deposit safe.
6. Start saving for your next adventure and organize your loose change.
This adventure fund box serves two purposes. First, start saving for your next big (or small) adventure. Second, keep all that pesky loose change floating around your home organized. Don’t forget to check under the couch cushions!
7. Stay uber-organized with this 44-drawer container.
Organize and separate sewing or office supplies, hardware, or just about any small parts with this compact unit. These handy cabinets can be stacked or mounted on the wall for easy access.
8. Keep track of screws and small metal pieces with a magnetic wristband.
This wristband turns into a third hand by keeping nuts, bolts, nails, and screws firmly secured to your wrist. Don’t lose track of small pieces ever again while working on home improvement projects.
9. Set the mood with these stylish lights inside or out.
This 16-foot string of lights provides a nice, soft glow for your bedroom, living room, or even outside areas. They are waterproof and controlled with a simple remote control. Eight different lighting modes allow you to set the brightness just right.
10. Drown out noise and listen to podcasts or Spotify while doing housework (or just use them for gaming–it’s your call).
These wireless headphones minimize outside noise (like a vacuum cleaner) while giving you crystal-clear sound from a phone or computer. Just remember to take care of your ears and not blast the volume.